Build A Better Blog: Build A Blogging Team
I’ve been following a great series by Darren Rowse of ProBlogger about building a better blog site. Building a better blog covers topics like blog design, search engine exposure and making money from your blogging efforts.
My contribution to this is simple: If you’re serious about building a blog, have a specific popular subject in mind and have aspirations for world dominance, gather a team to help you write on your blog! Maybe you and your friends have an obsession about Feng Shui, or hang glidging, or kickboxing. Try pooling your knowledge and sharing it on a website!
Advantages Of Team Blogging
Having a team can help spread the burden of keeping your blog up-to-date. A small, focussed blog group can share responsibilities:
- researching and writing articles
- responding to visitor comments
- managing search engine submissions
- creating a presence by commenting on blogs and forums of a similar theme
- managing and monitoring Google Adsense and affiliate schemes
Disadvantages Of Team Blogging
I was in a band once, a few years ago. At the start, we were invincible, but after a while things turned sour. Arguments arose over the direction of the music, who was putting in the most effort, who wasn’t, how the spoils were to be divided, and so on.
I can see a team of bloggers having a similar downfall. So it’s important to set some ground rules at the start.
- People have different skills. If someone is particularly good at writing, assign them to creating new content. Your friend is a web designer? Let him give your pages a personality! Work to the strengths of your team members
- Watch out for egos! Try to remember that each contribution is important. You might have a ‘blog star’, who writes a prolific number of high-quality articles. Who’s going to read them if someone isn’t driving traffic to the site?
- If there’s money to be made from your blog, talk about how you’re going to share the profits. Arguments about money can quickly kill off any partnership!
If you decide to gather a crack blogging team for your site, remember to stay in close contact. Share ideas for content, refining the site design, features to add. Keep an eye on where your visitors are coming from and try to forge links with similar sites. Enhance your visitors’ experience by responding to comments and build a loyal following of regular readers. And all the best with your team-blogging!